– Check out the Switzerland Workshop 2019 page! Registration is closed, but we are keeping a waiting list in case of cancellations. It takes place in August 25-30, 2019 on the banks of Lake Constance in Steckborn.
- “Bee’s Wings and Fish” with The Fireside Social Orchestra: A concert of songs and dances from the 19th century parlour and ballroom will be performed Tuesday June 18th, 2019, at 7:30pm at Mirabella, 3550 SW Bond, Portland (near Tillicum Crossing.) Open to the public. Music by Stephen Foster, James Hewitt, John Philip Sousa, and many others. Four musicians perform on period instruments and voices, including violin, tenor viola, flute, cello, ophicleide, ocarinas, flageolet, walking stick recorder, banjo and guitar. Musicians are Phil and Gayle Neuman, Laura Kuhlman, and Elizabeth O’Connor.
- Pioneer Brass Trombones will perform a selection of bossa nova, tango, jazz and jazz-rock selections at Food Cart Friday, at the Civic Center Plaza, 150 E. Main St. in Hillsboro, OR on Friday June 21st at 12 noon. Composers include Jobim, Piazzolla, Zawinul, Trenet, and many others. Four musicians perform on trombones and cimbasso. Musicians are Phil and Gayle Neuman, Andy Harris and Dave Bryan.
- The Oregon Renaissance Band Trio will perform 3 concerts and a workshop in British Columbia in July: On Thursday July 11th the trio will play a concert in Boitanio Park in Williams Lake; on Friday July 12th there will be a concert in St. Michael’s Church, 608 Sutherland Ave. in Kelowna; on Saturday and Sunday July 13-14 there will be a recorder and early strings workshop at the Vernon Community Music School, 1705 32nd Ave. in Vernon, and Sunday July 14th a concert at All Saints Anglican Church, 3205 27th st., in Vernon. The concert is entitled “Pipe, Shepherds, Pipe” featuring music by Weelkes, Morley, Bassano, and others on voice, cittern, recorders, violin, viol, cornamusen, racketts, tartold, bassanelli, and bock bagpipes. Musicians are Phil and Gayle Neuman, and Laura Kuhlman.
- The new ensemble, The Fireside Social Orchestra, will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in two Portland performances: Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 7:30pm and Sunday, December 1st, 2019 at 3:00pm, both at the Community Music Center, 3350 SE Francis, Portland. Directed by Gayle Neuman and Phil Neuman. The FSO will perform 19th century Christmas Carols and other festive music for voices and a wide variety of period instruments. For more information about the ensemble see: www.philandgayleneuman.com/performance/
- The Fireside Social Orchestra will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in Nehalem, Oregon: Friday, November 29, 2019 at 7:00pm at the North County Recreation District Performing Arts Center in Nehalem.
- The Fireside Social Orchestra will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in Cannon Beach, Oregon: Thursday, December 26th, 2019 at 7:00pm, at the Coaster Theatre in Cannon Beach.
- The Oregon Renaissance Band Early Celtic New Years Concerts: “Welcome Home” are scheduled for 3 performances: Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 at 3:00pm, Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 at 7:30pm, and Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019 at 3:00pm, all at the Community Music Center, 3350 SE Francis, Portland. Directed by Gayle Neuman and Phil Neuman with special guests: Laura Zaerr, harp, and Dan Stueber, percussion. For more information about the ensemble see: www.philandgayleneuman.com/performance/
ORB goes Hollywood!
Gayle and Phil Neuman recorded music on ancient instruments including kithara and kroupezon for the recent Paramount/MGM movie “Ben-Hur.” Check out the credits!
Members of the Oregon Renaissance Band (Daphne Clifton, Lori Fitch, Gayle and Phil Neuman) appear in the recent movie “Buddymoon” directed by Alex Simmons, starring David Giuntolli (A Million Little Things) and Flula Borg. The group appears somewhat unexpectedly in the ‘wilds’ of Mt. Hood playing two pieces by Anthony Holborne on recorders. The film, which also stars Claire Coffee, Jeanne Syquia, and Brian T. Finney, is distributed by Orion, and is available on Itunes and elsewhere.