- Live Summer 2023 Early Music Ensemble Classes through the Community Music Center. The 9 week term starts on Thursday June 15th and will meet in the auditorium and in Room 5 at the Community Music Center in Portland at [start time TBA.] Instructors: Gayle and Phil Neuman. Intermediate and Advanced Ensembles will now meet separately, and the music will be a choice selection of Renaissance, Baroque, and more for recorders and strings, and some pieces will be suitable for early reeds and brass. The repertoire will be different from that of the online Consort Classes. To register, call the Community Music Center at (503) 823-3177. Contact email@example.com for details about the class and music.
- Advanced Consort Class Summer 2023 term (for advanced and upper intermediate players): The new 10 week term begins Wednesday June 14th at 7:00pm PDT and June 17th at 10:00am PDT on Zoom. Cost: $100*. The 90 minute sessions include playing a mélange of renaissance, baroque, medieval and modern music with the ORB Trio in real time with performance advice, historical information and lively banter. Come join the fun! To register and pay, go to the Consort Class Online page and click on the appropriate link. See Consort Class Online for details.
- Intermediate Consort Class Summer 2023 term: The 10 week term begins June 13th at 7:00pm PDT and June 17th at 1:00pm PDT on Zoom. Cost: $100*. The 90 minute sessions include playing a mélange of intermediate level renaissance, baroque, medieval and modern music with the ORB Trio in real time with performance advice, historical information and lively banter. Technique and interpretation advice and finger exercises will be geared towards players of intermediate ability, with a bit more repetition and somewhat fewer pieces than the advanced consort class. Come join the fun! To register and pay, go to the Consort Class Online page and click on the appropriate link. See Consort Class Online for details.
* If you take both Advanced and Intermediate online classes you get a $20 discount on the second class (the total would be $180 for both.)
- Music of William Byrd Concert with the Oregon Renaissance Band Septet: Saturday, July 29th, 7:30pm, Community Music Center (3350 SE Francis St, Portland, OR 97202). Tickets will be available online, tba.
The program will celebrate the 400th anniversary of Byrd’s passing with a selection of his music featuring viols, violin, recorders, sackbutts, dulcians, racketts and percussion.
ORB goes Hollywood!
Gayle and Phil Neuman recorded music on ancient instruments including voice, kithara, kroupezon, and even tartold for the Paramount/MGM movie “Ben-Hur.” Look for the original soundtrack CD.
Members of the Oregon Renaissance Band (Daphne Clifton, Lori Fitch, Gayle and Phil Neuman) appear as themselves in the movie “Buddymoon” directed by Alex Simmons, starring David Giuntolli (A Million Little Things, Grimm) and Flula Borg. The group appears somewhat unexpectedly in the ‘wilds’ of Mt. Hood playing two pieces by Anthony Holborne on recorders. The film, which also stars Claire Coffee, Jeanne Syquia, and Brian T. Finney, is distributed by Orion, and is available on Itunes and elsewhere.
The Neumans’ ancient Greek music can be heard on “Music and Emotion through Time”, a TED Talk by Michael Tilson Thomas.