- The Fireside Social Orchestra Quartet will perform a concert of songs and dances from the 19th century parlour, ballroom and grange on Saturday, November 9th, 2019, at 2:00pm at the Wilsonville Public Library in Wilsonville.
Music by Stephen Foster, James Hewitt, John Philip Sousa, and many others. Four musicians perform on period instruments and voices, including violin, tenor viola, flute, cello, serpent, ophicleide, ocarinas, flageolet, walking stick recorder, banjo and guitar. Musicians are Phil and Gayle Neuman, Laura Kuhlman, and Elizabeth O’Connor. Admission free.
- The new ensemble, The Fireside Social Orchestra, will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in two Portland performances: Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 7:30pm and Sunday, December 1st, 2019 at 3:00pm, both at the Community Music Center, 3350 SE Francis, Portland. Directed by Gayle Neuman and Phil Neuman. The FSO will perform 19th century Christmas Carols and other festive music for voices and a wide variety of period instruments. For tickets see: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4409820 For more information about the ensemble see: www.philandgayleneuman.com/performance/
- The Fireside Social Orchestra will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in Nehalem, Oregon: Friday, November 29, 2019 at 7:00pm at the North County Recreation District Performing Arts Center in Nehalem. Call 855-444-6273 for tickets and details.
- The Fireside Social Orchestra will be presenting “A Fireside Christmas” in Cannon Beach, Oregon: Thursday, December 26th, 2019 at 7:00pm, at the Coaster Theatre in Cannon Beach. For details see www.cannonbeach.org/haystackholidays and for tickets visit https://cannonbeachchamber.eventsmart.com/events/haystack-holidays-winter-holiday-concert/
- The Oregon Renaissance Band Early Celtic New Years Concerts “Welcome Home” are scheduled for 3 performances: Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 at 3:00pm, Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 at 7:30pm, and Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019 at 3:00pm, all at the Community Music Center, 3350 SE Francis, Portland. Directed by Gayle Neuman and Phil Neuman with special guests: Laura Zaerr, harp, and Dan Stueber, percussion. For tickets visit https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4410215
For more information about the ensemble see: www.philandgayleneuman.com/performance/
- The Switzerland Workshop 2019 was a rousing success! Plans are already underway for the next European workshop. It took place August 25-30 2019 in Steckborn on the banks of Lake Constance.
ORB goes Hollywood!
Gayle and Phil Neuman recorded music on ancient instruments including kithara and kroupezon for the Paramount/MGM movie “Ben-Hur.” Check out the credits!
Members of the Oregon Renaissance Band (Daphne Clifton, Lori Fitch, Gayle and Phil Neuman) appear in the movie “Buddymoon” directed by Alex Simmons, starring David Giuntolli (A Million Little Things, Grimm) and Flula Borg. The group appears somewhat unexpectedly in the ‘wilds’ of Mt. Hood playing two pieces by Anthony Holborne on recorders. The film, which also stars Claire Coffee, Jeanne Syquia, and Brian T. Finney, is distributed by Orion, and is available on Itunes and elsewhere.